• E-mail me!
  • Musically Challenged

    I found that I needed to explain to one of the monkeys what "liner notes" were. I went to the LP collection and pulled out Bruce for visuals.

    Ah, the memories!

    Released in 1984, Born in the USA was a must-have for any fan-girl. My parents didn't disappoint. Centered on the piano they bought me for Christmas, that album made us girls scream with joy.

    ...Wait, they bought you a piano and all you could do is scream for Brucie-boy? WTH....

    That got me looking through the other LPs on the shelf, because I wanted to show the girl more 80s gems, like my Europe LP. Only it wasn't there, and I remembered that it had gone missing during one of our many moves prior to me joining the military.

    And then I remembered: I had just bought the CD!

    And then I remembered: it was in the basket in my van when my van was stolen.

    The van was returned while the basket and its contents were not. With the loss of that basket, so went my music history, the weird and wonderful me through the past 24 years. The first two CDs I ever bought, Depeche Mode's Violator and Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine. The last two CDs I bought before the theft, Incubus and Foo Fighters. Just about everything in between.

    There was so much awesome in that basket. I cried more for the loss of that basket than I did when the guys at the detail shop found mystery panties jammed into the back seat--for that, I just told them to shampoo the seats again like they were erasing a crime scene.

    By the way, they complied. Those seats took days to dry out!

    Other music lost that crazy night in January, which is itself a story for another day:

    Disturbed: the entire CD collection
    Nonpoint: their self-titled release
    So much Christmas music:
           Josh Groban
           Harry Connick, Jr
           British Christmas 3-disc extravaganza
           USAF Heritage of America band
    Halestorm: 1st CD, autographed by the band at the concert I attended
    Chicago's greatest hits 82-89
    Take That: Pray
    Josh Groban: Closer
    Southern Culture on the Skids: Dirt Track Date (bought that 13 years ago)
    Etta James greatest hits
    Def Leppard: Hysteria
    Sarah Brightman: Time to Say Goodbye
    Delovely, the soundtrack
    "The Ultimate Brit Mix"
    Ella Fitzgerald's greatest hits
    Europe: The Final Countdown

    There are probably others in that basket that I will some day remember that I'm missing. Le sigh.


    No comments: