• E-mail me!
  • Hi Ho, Hi Ho

    Mister is up for a promotion in a few months, but in the meantime has lost a paycheck perk. He can't compete for reinstatement of this perk for six months. This really didn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things as we have always lived within our means and put back a small chunk of paycheck every month.

    A couple of weeks ago, shortly after Mister returned from The Land of the Freakin' Hot Sun, a friend of mine suggested to me that I get a job where she works because it's easy and the pay is good. I considered this, just because I like money and having more is almost always a good thing. Mister, on the other hand, simply couldn't see the point. We don't "need" the money. Plus, I'm still in school full time. When would I have time for me?

    However, we had a disaster with our last tenant which will cost us more to fix than was defaulted to us by the security deposit. Still, we have the money to cover it, thanks to our savings.

    Then Mister comes home from work yesterday with an odd look stuck on his face. After dinner he explains that with this promotion comes some staggering responsibilities, the most important of which already has begun despite his not yet being promoted: digging deep to pony up.

    Becoming a member of The Top Three apparently entails tossing money onto the table at any given moment for any possible cause: fund-raisers for the office, legitimate charity, a round of drinks, and so on. Mister does not have a "mad cash" account, and now needs one. This seems to be not doable on one paycheck.

    Plus, there is the imminent threat of a move, possibly back to the fiery chasm from whence we came but hopefully to a foreign clime, which will also take money although we will be reimbursed somewhat eventually.

    And so I will get myself employed for the first time in 4 years (although that job was just a temp thing as well). I can't currently work in my field, as I am taking classes full-time during the day. This will be interesting to say the least.

    No comments: