• E-mail me!
  • Irony has left the building

    Here's some bizarre for you:


    I'm currently taking "History of African Americans to 1877" at my lovely local community college (cheap tuition, FTW!). The room is nearly full, and I am one of four non-black students. To me, this is sad, because the history of the United States of America isn't just "from whence the white folks came." Having a well-rounded history of all "main players" on the stage of America's development would be cool.

    I expect I'll be waiting for that "History of Indigenous Peoples of North America" class for awhile, though. They're still waiting for long-deserved sovereignty, which I think should come first, but that's another rant for a different kind of day.

    Where's the irony, you ask? Patience, child.

    Every class has a "suck up." Many of my fellow students from previous semesters might be inclined to suggest that usually the suck up is, in fact, me. Not this time. You may be surprised to learn that the suck up in this particular class is in fact one of the non-black males.

    A heavily-tattooed white male, with bleached-out hair, earrings, and flip flops, who also happens to be a complete dumbass for a history major. A guy who doesn't know where Mecca is (I think his closest guess was France).

    I'll admit that I didn't know, either. The difference between Sucky Boy and me is that I kept my ignorant mouth shut. Bless him, he's young. But I believe it's too late for him to grow more, usable brain cells.

    5 comments:

    Beav said...

    Holy Carp! How can you possibly call yourself a History Major and not even get within 1000 miles of Mecca. It's only the most holy city of one of the world's biggest religions. I think that may have nudged history a hair.

    Now, I don't think that everybody has to know, but if you call yourself a history person, you should at least have a general knowledge of the geography that goes with that history, no?

    Soo Mi said...

    Most would expect that would be true. However, this young Guido wanna-be may not be in touch with his reality.

    I suspect he's a 'history' major because it's allegedly less taxing on the brain than 'liberal arts.' If you can memorize details, you're in, and with less math and science requirements.

    Ambs said...

    Ah, the token white male. I had one in my women/gender studies classes in college -- I minored. His name was Carl. Every other word out of his mouth was "postmodern." I quoted him in a paper I was writing for a journalism class once, and my professor didn't believe anyone really talked like that.

    Soo Mi said...

    New information on Sucky Boy. He missed class on Friday, so was not aware of the quiz today. I mentioned it, he said he had read enough, and then offered that this was the last history class offered by the college and then he was done.

    I asked if he was transferring out, and he said no, he'd taken enough college to make his parents happy, was going to maintain his current employment with Pepsi, and "skateboard until I can't walk anymore."

    'Nuf said.

    Beav said...

    Thank goodness. I thought for a bit that he might actually be trying to pollute the "intelligensia" pool.