• E-mail me!
  • So, what do you call the deluxe model?

    We have a few people at work who are fluent in Spanish, and they are occasionally asked to translate when a customer needs help or more information than what's already on the product.

    A few nights ago, a coworker brings a customer to my area. I'm new so I don't know everyone, but I'd met this guy before and we have established a good relationship. I made a joke about his being outside of his zone, and he said, "Great! Since you speak Spanish, I'll just leave this guy here for you to help. lol"

    Another coworker perks up and clarifies that the customer speaks no English at all. At that point, while keeping her expression pleasant, she goes off about "[insert slur here]" ruining our country and so on. I turned away from them quickly.

    After a major disaster in high school, I have always tried very hard to never discuss politics outside of my home. My friends and coworkers do not know how I vote or where I stand on a multitude of issues. "Illegals" is one such topic.

    The customer had no idea, and I felt like a jerk for not saying anything to her. I wish now I had spoken up, because it seems as if I agree with her. It doesn't matter if I do or not; my job is to politely help my customers. Period. The people who do not speak English are treated no differently than the people who are pissed off, pissed on, drunk, lying, stealing, tweaking, or pleasant and happy.

    1 comment:

    Beav said...

    This is where the party ends.