• E-mail me!
  • The Great Depression

    You remember those goofy mix tapes we used to make back in the good old days--you know, the 80s--filled with sappy love songs or bootleg crap that would uncurl our mom's curly perm?

    The Girl is taking World History 2, and for a fun assignment, her instructor paired up people at random (they have no say) in order to create a CD depicting an event in history. Pick an event, any event, from WW2 to 9/11 (but please, no more 9/11s--too many have chosen that already). Then select popular music (or any music) that "speaks" to the event.

    The girl mentioned a debate in class of the definition of "war," that her instructor shared his opinion that the current so-called war would be very much like Viet Nam by the end, and that like Korea, Viet Nam wasn't technically a "real war." My first comment on that was, "Not a real war? Tell that to my dad."

    So we got to talking about why Viet Nam happened in the first place, what happened along the way, and how it ended. I told her that we have truckloads of music not only from that era but also tribute songs written afterwards, and that slapping together a fake CD would be a snap. She agreed, provided I help her out.

    Help her? WTF? Then she drops the other shoe: her partner will most likely be getting suspended from school this week, thanks to some particularly bad behavior that went unmentioned. At the time of the assignment discussion, the boy was already in the principal's office. And so, not having anyone else available, she was given permission (!) to do the project on her own.

    As a compromise, I told her I would make her a playlist and print out lyrics. She had to listen to each song, review the lyrics, and then write one or two sentences about why or how the song relates to the Viet Nam Conflict. She has to design the CD cover herself with no help from me, either. Plus, she has to endure my random quizzing her on general history questions.

    So I've put together the playlist, and I gotta tell you, it's pretty damn depressing. It's also agitating, because it brings forward a lot of emotions regarding the ongoing military situation into which our current administration has engaged us.

    For your consideration, the playlist:

    Star Spangled Banner; Hendrix
    Traveling Soldier; Countdown Singers
    For What It's Worth; Buffalo Springfield
    Imagine; John Lennon
    War; Edwin Starr
    The Times, They Are A-Changin'; Dylan
    Ohio; Neil Young
    Give Peace A Chance; John Lennon
    Paint It Black; The Stones
    Turn! Turn! Turn!; The Byrds
    War Pigs; Black Sabbath
    We Gotta Get Out Of This Place; The Animals
    Veteran Song; 'Native US'
    Taps; US Air Force Band
    19; Paul Hardcastle
    Goodnight, Saigon; Billy Joel
    Still in Saigon; Charlie Daniels Band

    I would like to mention that when the idea about a war event as the focus of a music CD was verbalized, The Boy blurted out, "Hey, how about 'War Pigs'?"

    I do believe I've raised my kids appropriately. Yay, me!

    5 comments:

    Beav said...

    Perhaps 'Fortunate Son'; CCR

    That not only touches on the war, but some of the socio-political feelings concerning it.

    keith said...

    I swear, all that you and the mister need now is a VW bus to go with that playlist of songs that you could probably get on an 8 track tape to play in your VW bus. I always figured you two as pot smokin' hippies born in the wrong era!LOL.
    I'm guessin' he's in GA now?

    Soo Mi said...

    Here's your irony, Keith:

    Years ago, back when we just had the one child, Mister tried to talk me into buying a VW bus so we could make a road trip to California.

    I told him that would be fine, but I had to brush up on my auto repair skills first, and he had to change diapers while I changed engine belts and spark plugs, etc.

    We never went, at least not in a VW. We did drive from B'ham to Monterey in a Dodge van, but that was 5 years later.

    keith said...

    See, I was right....

    VW Bus = Pot smokin hippie

    Dodge Van = sad attempt at a wannabe hippie

    Soo Mi said...

    No, "Dodge Van" = "Wife and kids plus security clearance"

    :P