• E-mail me!
  • Drunken Dumbass-the newest "DD"

    In March, Vivica A. Fox was sentenced for driving while intoxicated. She has reemerged into the spotlight to share her story and to offer advice.

    Ms. Fox declared that she had made an "unfortunately judgment" and also took full responsibility for her actions, which clearly sets her apart from 99.999997% of all other wealthy and/or celebrity individuals in America. Celebrities are, according to Ms. Fox, "...not above the law." She says she has learned her lesson.

    But what exactly was that lesson? Did she learn that by traveling 80 miles per hour down a freeway put the lives of everyone who shared the road with her in jeopardy? Did she learn that she put her own life in jeopardy?

    Sorry to disappoint, but what started out so well as a turning point really isn't one after all.

    The lesson Ms. Fox learned was that all the rigamarole involved with being convicted of drunk driving is a pain the rump. Her regrets fall mostly on her driving record, about which she lamented the conviction would remain for up to ten years.

    Bless your heart, you poor thing. I'm so sorry that your error in judgment is going to remain on your record for a decade. On the other hand, I'm sorry you weren't stopped sooner. I'm sorry you weren't stopped before you got into your vehicle. I'm sorry you surround yourself with weakness.

    Who are these friends, coworkers, cohorts, people, that they would let you walk away from them knowing you were not in a fit state to drive? Do you still associate with them? If so, why? It's obvious to me that your celebrity has dazzled them into cowed submission, or ramped up their primeval greed. These people are not looking out for you, Ms. Fox. Indeed, they are looking out for themselves: how much can we gain by being with Vivica A. Fox, super-beautiful super-celebrity?

    The lessons to be learned from your experience do not stop at keeping a tidy driving record.

    2 comments:

    Beav said...

    One of the things that I do love about the military. If I were to drink, I know - off the top of my head - at least 3 ways for me to get home without driving myself. In fact, I'm almost certain that I could call anyone in my unit; if they weren't drunk, they'd come get my sorry butt. I might have to take some good-natured ribbing for a bit, but I'd get home safely. It sometimes amazes me that people can take that sort of a chance, especially now when the alternatives and the consequences are so prominent.

    Ambs said...

    I spent two high-school years in a country where the drinking age is 18, so -- giving in to the inevitable -- my parents' only hard-and-fast rule about my social life was, DO NOT EVER get into the car with someone who has been drinking. I've carried that lesson over into my adult life. I'm not a big drinker, but I am a big designated driver. Driving drunk is one of those idiotic decisions I will never, ever understand.